

SUA 11.28.17

Meeting Called to Order at: 8:03PM

Roll Call: Chloe at 8:04PM

Assembly Members Present: Alice Malmberg (VPIA), Katherine Le (VPDI), Tamra Owens (VPSL), Lauren (Cowell Alternate), Natasha Bramer (Cowell), Katie Keeshan (Stevenson), Zach Klieman (Stevenson), Sabina Wildman (Crown), Taj Abdulrahmaan (Crown), Samantha Stringer (Merrill), Emma Cunningham (Merrill), Sabrina (Porter Alternate), Mamie Yang (Porter), Quinn Chalmers (Kresge), Jos Dubon (Kresge), Ayo Banjo (Oakes), Arvind Vallabha (Oakes), Thomas Ramirez (Rachel Carson), Angel Solorzano (Rachel Carson), Matthew Forman (Rachel Carson), Kiryl Karpiuk (College 9), Samantha Sanchez (College 9), Vignesh Iyer (College 9), Jonathan Kung (College 10), Liam (College 10 Alternate), Claudia Flores (College 10), Cibyl Engel (PRISM), Noah Thoron (Treasurer)

Assembly Members Absent: Max Jiminez (President), Judith Gutierrez (VPEA), Jessica Xu (VPAA), Alex English (Cowell), Jeff Stoll (Stevenson), Samantha Stringer (Crown), Miranda Huevo (Merrill), Angelica D'Egidio (Porter), Brandon States (Oakes), Yonaton Melisse (Oakes), Nikolasi Niumeitolu Saafi (APISA), Raymond LeBeau (SANAI), Davon Thomas (BSU), Alexis Delos Santos (Bayanihan), Singh Dhadda (SSA), Fatima Mohammad (MSA)

Approval of Agenda: 8:05PM

Vignesh: motion to approve the agenda

Samantha: Second

No Objection

Approval of Minutes: 8:06PM

Sam: Motion to approve minutes

Alice: Second

No Objections

Announcements and Public Comment: 8:06PM

Max: UCOP is seeking student reps one undergraduate and one graduate from each UC Campus to serve on Advisory board. Application deadline is in 2 days at 5PM. The Fall Academic Senate Meeting is this Friday from 2:30-5 at Stevenson Event Center. There will be presentations.

Alice: SCOC is having two events. Friday from 6-8PM is quarterly C4 Event (everyone on a committee come and get paid and free food) It will be in this room. On Saturday is SCOC

first sister College Event to provide outreach about SCOC. Goal is to feed as many students as possible. It will be in Porter Kresge Dining hall from 6-8PM.

Vignesh: The SCOC EVP Office is Advocacy day and will table quarry from 1-4PM. There will be a poster board for testimonials. We will follow our legislature where we will be asking for his support for Title 9. All 9 UC's are participating and will also be phoning in. Please come out!

Katherine: My event is regarding mental health. It's happening this Friday from 3:30-5PM. It is a free event in collab with CAPS and there will be stress workshops and posters!

Sabina: Tomorrow is the Worker's Solidarity Lunch. There will be food and you hear about workers and their contracts. You can learn about worker rights as student workers. I will pass the flyer event but we are having a movement so students and workers can work together. Can you RSVP if you are going so we know allergy restrictions. It will be at College 9/10 Lawn from 12-1PM

Noah: I will be doing office hours for the rest of the quarter in Student Union Second Floor. If you have a question regarding the budget please come ask me!

Presentations: 8:12PM

Students of Color Conference (15 minutes) 8:12PM

- Held every year and over 900 students go
- Students over 18 and has a license can assist
- Conference will be at UC Riverside
- Hotel is at Marriott Riverside at the Convention Center, 15 minutes drive from UC Riverside. There for 2 nights January 26th and 27th
- Theme is Educational Justice
- Application is open and the deadline is December 12th at 11:59PM
- Conference last year was a little complicated (Students didn't know the theme, identity caucus spaces were facilitated poorly) We are doing everything to make sure it will go smoothly well now.
- Be sure to like our Facebook Page!
- We will let people know food places in the area and an itinerary so people know where to go.
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion will be reviewing apps and we want people from all groups to be represented. Feel free to email me! suavpd@ucsc.edu

New Business: 8:26PM

The Cruz Crown (10 minutes) 8:26PM

- *Cue Inspiration Song*
- I will have 3 events to bond students together and build Student Pride
- It will be hosted by SUA and can be tradition every year.
- Purpose to promote diversity and happiness and acceptance.
- Welcome to all undergraduate and graduate students.
- Kind of like a pageant with interview, question, and fashion show. It doesn't have to be professional it can just be fun. There will be a question, What makes you a royalty?
- SUA should volunteer more and we have the power to help others. Winner can donate 1000 to any charities listed with UCSC.

Noah: When will this happen?

Ayo: It will be in winter quarter and I want lip sync to be in Spring Quarter.

Alice: I think this is a great event but in past years the turn outs weren't good.

Ayo: Sometimes people don't like going to a school event. I want to motion to create a sub committee

Tamra: Second

Cruz Crown Committee

No Objections

Jane: We have to appoint a chair of the sub committee

Tamra: I motion to appoint Ayo

Katherine: Second

Ayo: I will take the position

Katherine: Congratulations! I love the enthusiasm. We should be using the money to hold these events and I love your passion.

Emma: I am super excited but the one thing I have to say is that it would be like a pageant. I would add a portion of it where everyone can participate. I would never want to go on stage but I would still love something to do. It would draw in more people who want to participate.

Old Business: 8:37PM

Funding Deliberation: MSA West (10 minutes)

Quinn: I would like to motion to fully fund this because I think this is an important event to fund from SUA General.

Samantha: Second

No Objections

Closing Remarks and Adjournment: 8:39PM

Jane: We do have meeting next week and there will be an important subjects that will be discussed. If you have any issues please talk to me. If you are late please check in to Chloe.

Cibyl: I know we are talking about consistency but funding between SOFA and SUA we could give to more people if we gave all from SUA rather than take from SOFA. In the future it would be better if we can split more evenly.

Tamra: I think my Freshman year we came up with an idea that any Funding request over 3 grand goes to SUA. I agree that we were always going to fund this and that money could have gone to other groups.

Noah: Is this something the space wants me to do so I will do it.

Tamra: Sound Great.