Student Union Assembly Tuesday, 1/28/13

Meeting to Order at 6:05 by DT Amajoyi (Chair)

Assembly Members Present: DT Amajoyi (Chair), Shaz Umer (IVC), Victor Velasco (EVC), Rocio Zamora (COD), Shiku Muhire (COAA), Kevin Huang (OD), Kevin Troxel (Stevenson), Lila Blackney (Stevenon Alt.), Nicolette Johnson (Cowell), Giovanni Maldonado (Crown), Alexis Bartels (Crown), Max Hufft (Crown Alt.), Michael Liber (Merrill), Vanessa Morales (Merrill), David Nguyen (Merrill), Iden Yekan (Nine), Shanna Ballesteros (Nine), CJ Ocampo (Nine), Jessica Veklerov (Ten), Megana Kunda (Ten), Rebecca Brown (Ten), Lyle Green-Nikerson (Kresge), Carl Eadler (Kresge Alt.), Shingo Brann (Porter), Mick Del Rosario (Porter Alt.), Roshni Advani (Eight), Ian Bernstein (Eight), Louise Cabansay (Eight), Melody Aguilar (Oakes), Linda Moua (Oakes), Kayla Oh (Oakes Alt.), Steven Hernandez (QSU), Omar Bravo (APISA), Michael Amster, Eric Rubin (Treasurer), Nicky England (SPM), Brittany Smith (COS), Patty Munoz (ABSA Alt.)

Assembly Members Absent: Charlsie Chang (Stevenson), Sammie Vega (Stevenson), Kelly (Stevenson Alt.), Arina Voronina (Cowell), Jacob Rios (Cowell), Corbin Hall (Crown), Saam Keshavarzi (Ten Alt.), Kelsey Rousseve (Kresge), Ruben Barron (Porter), Daniel Lewis (Porter), Michael Barney (Porter Alt.), Sindy Ramirez (Oakes), Nadia Mufti (Oakes Alt.), Jocqui Smollett (ABSA), Tochtli Rios (QSU Alt.)

DT: I'm going to pass around the agenda. Sorry for the technically difficulties, it will be fixed soon. I will officially call the meeting to order at 6:06. Raise your hand if you have an open seat next to you. Let us move on to our agenda. Just know that the agenda is new. SOAR is severely understaffed, and the office is impacted so they asked if they could get an additional week. I want to make sure everything is ready for you all. I wanted to preface the approval of the agenda. Are there any questions about that? Some of these things were from our retreat. I included that in this agenda. Are there any amendments?

Reading of the Previous Meeting's Minutes

Shiku: Motion.

Max: Second.

DT: So moved.

DT: Approval of the minutes?

Kevin: **Motion** to approve.

Roshni: Second.

DT: We have approved minutes. Let's move to announcements.

Announcements at 6:20PM

Rebecca: This Friday at Namaste, there will be bone marrow drive so can get swabbed. It does not take long. Also, there is a petition about blood regulations. There is a tentative plan SUGB, "anti-valentines day"

Max: It is also happening at college 8 Red Room.

Rocio: My office is hosting a town hall tomorrow, 5:30 to 7:30PM Cowell 132; it is about the restructuring of the resource center. We want to inform the students of what is going on and possible next steps. So please come if you can, the resource centers benefit a lot of communities on campus.

Ian: Once again, western regional volunteering, if you do want to volunteer, register this Thursday, if you volunteer 8 hours, you get food and get to go to dance

Roshni: Where do I go to register?

Ian: wrqc2013.com

Kayla: Love shack festival, love for community, love for culture, lots of different workshops, Stevenson event center, February 12th.

CJ: This Friday February 1st at the C9/10 multipurpose room, 12PM-3PM, a fair put on by FoCAN program, and so it's basically an attempt to encompass sustainability, there is going to be a cypher.

Kevin: Tomorrow there is a student worker coalition at 4PM Redwood lounge, part of that is going to be helping out plan a rally next day, which is Thursday 11:30AM, at quarry plaza at 11:45 there is going to be a march to Kerr hall, for AFSCME workers, contracts end on the 31st, so come.

Victor: Who hasn't filled one of these survey's out? It's about what students want orgs to prioritize, we are also collecting this data to show the state legislature that we got student power, if you can take a few seconds to fill this out, the deadline is Thursday, if you interested in volunteering to help distribute these surveys, please contact me.

Melody: We have been working hard on a south America club, if you are interested or help spread the word, we are going to have a meeting this Friday, Oakes milk apartment 224, a small comforting space, provide food, talk about this nitty-gritty, we can all confine in, if the numbers increase, we will move to a bigger space. <u>slugsuramericanos@gmail.com</u>. Please spread this email, tell your spaces and college senates, anyone who wants to be a member. Ill have more announcements in the future. Vanessa: Things about the constitutional amendment; I'll send out an e-mail, please fill out the Google doc.

Brittany: Tis the season for surveys, how many have you taken the campus climate survey? Please take one of these and tell your senates. Basically, it's a chance for the regents to know how we are feeling about our campus, its comprehensive, we need to make sure they know what is going on at UCSC. I'll pass them around, let me know and I can get you more flyers.

DT: A really heavy push came from our campus, we are doing poorly, we are doing bad, please get it done.

Eddie: The prizes are real, I got an iPad.

Shiku: My office made this video. Grateful help from: ASU, ABSA, Norma Vasquez. I'm in this video, Voices against Violence event tomorrow, along with inviting you all, sit back relax and enjoy the film. It's tomorrow at 7PM-9:30PM at Stevenson event center.

DT: It'll be on the SUA Facebook page and website. Are those all the announcements?

Victor: The applications for the SLC due next Friday.

Presentations:

Maria: We are going to do a series of legislative profiles. Normally we have two a week.

Rebecca: (presentation)

Reflection of the SUA retreat:

Steven: I thought we should have spent more time to know each other.

Shingo: Have more of that capture the flag I heard about, I felt like I got to learn more about my fellow officers.

Iden: It opened my eyes about the issues we are facing. I just think that it was really productive in getting to learn what we are facing at students.

Kevin: I thought it was super cool that we had a space like that, it was a different way to connect as a body, one critique, I've been to different retreats, it was one of the shortest ones I've been a part of, at the end it was mostly about work and not getting to know each other, it's a commitment cause sometimes retreats are two or three days, overall I thought it was really productive, I wish we got more time to know each other in that space.

Victor: I thought it was a good retreat as well, my favorite part was the issues and problems, being engaged in the processes, how to go about things on campus, I also have a critique, the entire agenda was just officers talking, I want to see the reps give some kind of presentation, not just about organizing, anything outside of the officers would have been great, we all have different abilities and talents and it'd be great to someone step up, it was really cool to see all of us organizing.

CJ: My favorite part was the problems and issues, seeing all the problems lay out; I would have liked some clarity about the retreat. It felt like a strategic planning retreat instead of a kick it retreat. I would like more goal and clarity about what it was about. We only got the agenda couple days before the retreat.

Ian: Having been to both last quarters and this quarters retreat. It makes a difference with how many more people. Coming up with problems, seeing what other people said and what was going on campus. I feel like there was a lot of time to bond. We knocked down cups.

Nicki: I really enjoyed the retreat; I would like more time to get to know people better. Too much time of people talking and sitting there, only so much time till we zone out. Smaller groups are good, gets your brain working.

Brittany: I will make a doc that has all the issues and problems on the website. It'll be available.

DT: A perfect seg-way, thank you for the feedback, if there is something happening that you don't like about this space, let me know. Quick shout out to CJ, he would love to host a workshop about this space.

Victor: Can we maybe incorporate what he did into this space. I think that one of my personal goals in this space is form a community. Whatever you had would be cool.

Brittany- presentation (DT speaking)

DT: These are things we are working on; please take a couple minutes to look at each item.

Melody: I was going to ask, after we agree, are we going to delegate on this?

DT: We are going to finalize on a list of issues to focus on what we want to do as SUA. All these things will be divided for each committee. I want accountability for these issues because this will be what we will be working on.

Rebecca: Are we going to prioritize what stuff we can feasibly do in 6 months?

DT: A lot of things were weeded out in terms of what can be done.

Victor: Some of these things are individual offices are working on, some things seem like the whole SUA can work on.

DT: My point is that things will be finalized at our officer meeting on Friday, I didn't want the officers to pick and choose and make SUA do, I want to make SUA cared about what they are doing, and we will assess from the different people in committees to what we will be working on and bring that feedback.

Daniel: I am interested in unionizing student workers; I see a lot of problems. Do we wait to see who is working on it?

DT: I just want to get this list finalized. Comments like that will be during the committee meeting.

Shiku: So should we talk about things we want to bump up on the list.

DT: Either we are going to pass it all in its totality or what you guys want on top of the list.

Jessica: I have issues about unionizing student workers, there is a difference between work-study and non-work-study, is it even legal to form a union for work-study, does anyone have any output, would we just be focusing on non-work-study jobs.

DT: I think for that initial piece, it has to be legal and that will be tended to.

Eddie: SLAP has been working that, it falls under a legal category, if you are working for work-study, if you are working to make ends meat, they fall into the category of unionization.

Rebecca: This is a suggestion; can we go through each one and bump one up?

Michael: Provide syllabus/textbook req. every student benefits from, I look at it as a great way to make SUA more popular, Shiku is working on it, I think it is a great topic to make progress on.

Kevin: So we are going to make comments about what we don't want? I have concerned about things like capacity, I don't know how much capacity we have as a assembly, I don't want this to have officers head, I want to things that reps do, there is just so much we can do. I would like to propose, we should just have their preference of their top 3 issues, whichever 3 we get, we work on as a body. I have real concerns about capacity, if the reps have things they want to work on, they should make it happen.

Brittany: Because we already brought up officers are doing some of these (proceeds to type on issue list. (20min)

Eric: We should move the committee breakouts next week since we don't have the results of the voting.

Shanna: I understand the importance of getting to know each other; I don't want to rush that.

Lyle: I know SAS has their event tomorrow; I say we move the "I am" exercise to next meeting.

Kevin: I say we have community breakouts after adjournment.

Iden: **Making a motion** to table the "I am" activity to next week, it's not as important as community breakouts, we can do it next breakout

Roshni: Second.

DT: Are there any objections by consensus? We will now move to community breakouts.

Shiku: Motion to adjourn with committees afterward.

Daniel: Second.

Meeting adjourned at 7:46PM