

SUA 2.27.18

Assembly Members Present: Maxine Jimenez (President), Katherine Le (VPDA), Camerone Elliot (Stevenson), Katie Keeshen (Stevenson), Zach Klieman (Stevenson), Saalini Satry (Crown), Sabina Wildman (Crown), Rebekah Kenny (Crown), Alicia Freedmen (Merrill), Emma Cunningham (Merrill), Kimberly Balmorez (Porter), Quinn Chalmers (Kresge), Ian Gregorio (Kresge), Nick (Kresge Alternate), Yonatan Melesse (Oakes), Arvind Vallabha (Oakes), Ayo Banjo (Oakes), Matthew Forman (Rachel Carson), Kiryl Karpiuk (College 9), Samantha Sanchez (College 9), Vignesh Iyer (College 9), Jonathan Kung (College 10), Liam Staninger (College 10), Claudia Flores (College 10), Max Lyon (Prism), Noah Theron (Treasurer)

Assembly Members Absent: Alice Maimberg (VPIA), Judith Gutierrez (VPEA), Jessica Xu (VPAA), Tamra Owens (VPSL), Keshav Kumar (Cowell), Lauren Woo (Cowell), Natasha Bramer (Cowell), Miranda Huezo (Merrill) Ivan Reyes (Porter), Ted Jaich (Porter), Thomas Ramirez (Rachel Carson), Angel Solorzano (Rachel Carson), Raymond LeBeau (SANAI), Nikolasi Niumeitolu Saafi (APISA), Alexcis Santos (Bayanihan), Angad Singh Dhadda (SSA), Kaitlyn (BSU), Fatima Mohammad (MSA)

Meeting Called to Order at: 8:03PM

Roll Call at: 8:05PM

Approval of Agenda: 8:06PM

Vignesh: I move to switch orientation sheet to first topic on agenda

Rebecah: Second

Zach: I motion to approve the agenda

Samantha: Second

No Objections

Approval of Minutes: 8:07PM

Emma: Motion to approve the minutes

Vignesh: Second

No Objection Minutes approved by 2 weeks ago

Announcements and Public Comment: 8:06PM

Vignesh: Acapella group free show this Saturday. Show starts at 7 we traveled in Fall and its our Winter showcase. We are a fun group and it will be a fun 2 hrs. I will be passing around flyers. It will be March 3rd. It is free! It will be at Thinmn

Katie: Tomorrow night there is a button making and on Friday from 2-5 they are doing block making.

Katherine: The SUA retreat is happening this sunday from 12-4pm at mchenry library room 2359. Ashley sent out an email and if you have not filled out the rsvp please fill it out. It is called action required. Joel Kim is March 10th next saturday night and it will be free. I am looking to reserve tickets for all of you. It will be at college 9 and 10 multipurpose room. Doors open at 6:30PM If you have questions send me an email.

Noah: SOFA is starting to open applications at the end of the week. Let them know. Second announcement I am running a committee next quarter to prepare a budget. If you are interested I have a sign in sheet. I am thinking Monday Wednesday or Friday.

Kim: If you are looking for things to do. Some of the youth from Santa Cruz have put together a mural and there will be a cutting of ribbons.

Sabina: Next thursday March 8th is international women's day. There will be a rally protest thing with different student groups. We will start at oaks at 2 and we will end at Quarry amphitheatre at 3:30 and there will be speakers.

Ayo: Two things. Thank you for responding to Cruz Crown. It has been officialized Cruz Crown will be Wednesday from 3-4 and this week. Also is there snacks?

Jane: We don't have a person to get snacks but also we have decided that we shouldn't spend money to feed ourselves during meeting. If we wanted that we would need a small funding request and a person willing to be in charge of dealing with that. Unless the officers want to use a line item.

Sam: The United Senate is having a meeting next tuesday. There will be a screening and it will end at 9pm and there will be popcorn and soda.

New Business: 8:14PM

Summer Orientation Issues with Sabina 8:14PM

- Students come for a day and do enrollment and every college has their week of orientation. It can be the first time frosh's see their college. It is an important day. There are some issues:
- One is that you have to pay for summer orientation. We receive 200+ fee waiver applications but we can only grant some because we don't have the budget. The funding we need is about 75k-100k.
- Our program summer orientation office want to prioritize family members for AV5 students to get financial aid and that will be 20k-30k. It is important and it is worth it.
- Family members are sleeping because they will drive the day there and then back at night. The summer orientation provide emergency overnight housing so we spend 5k on that service.
- We can't have main orientation at the RCC plaza so we can't use that space. The only other space is Quarry Amphitheatre. So this year we are moving to ampitheatre. There is a huge fee and Feb 26 the University charge 5,400 dollars The director asked for the fee to be lower and they said they would think about it but it hasn't been decided yet. Orientation leaders are housed during summer. That costs 75k dollars
- This is important to Frosh and Transfer and orientation leaders. It is a good starting point for student leadership. Every year SUA has been tabling at summer orientation. It is good outreach that student government exist so they get an idea of what it is about. There is always a speaker on behalf of SUA that speak in the morning. If SUA can fund a portion of this SUA would have more places.
- I would like to hear your feedbacks and also suggestions for other funding.

Vignesh: Are all those costs the things that need funding.

Sabina: We can pick and choose but everything needs the funding.

Katherine: Who are the primary sponsors of orientation program?

Sabina: I think pizza something there are a couple.

Noah: How much will you be requesting?

Sabina: That's why I came here I was wondering what you guys thought. I'm not sure if EOP covers but i'll check.

Jonathan: In regards how many people get granted for fee waivers?

Sabina; This year we don't have enough but it is possible that a majority of students won't have fee waivers. But what we do is we let people to pay later.

Jonathan: I heard 20-30k what is that for?

Sabina: That is for AV5 and it is not allocated but it would be awesome if we could.

Sam: I would say for a specific item I would opt for fee waiver so students can get more exposure. It also takes into account how much money is allocated this year. I think the fee waiver is the best.

External Affairs Update by Vignesh 8:28PM

- Campaign secure sustainable access to basic needs for college students. It reevaluate policy and policy structure for students to get access to basic needs. It is focused on food and housing security. Students are affected by housing crisis. We are trying to find ways to address it.
- UCSA have a 2 year campaign time period and they are either renewed for 2 years or they expire and another campaign will be chosen.
- There are a lot of students who have loans take summer classes to graduate on time. The issue of basic needs to tied into affordability at school. We should help out with students to meet their basic needs.
- Major of our college graduates won't be able to find work and there is a higher rate of 2 year institutions chosen over 4 year. We are not able to meet the requirement of transfer students.
- Economy need students to graduate on time but they need the right support. Low income students are affected more. (Graphic available in powerpoint)
- We are taking it up as a legislative piece and it will be taken up as top priority that will be lobbying for. This is not just organizing but legislative that is emphasized at the statewide level right now.
- March 1st. Organize 10-12 to attend master plan hearing. It started in the 60s to make public education free. There has been an increase in tuition and it is 2-5pm. I will send out an email. They will have a student sit on the panel and it will be great because they never have official student input.

Sabina: Tuition for UC started be raised in Reagan's time and he raised it to penalize student activism.

Vignesh: I brought up 2000 because that's when there was a spike. We are trying to show basic needs to reflect what is happening.

Cameron: Who are you choosing?

Vignesh: Just respond to the email. The 1st 12 to respond will go.

Old Business 8:40

Chancellor/EVC Visit Reflection 8:41PM

Ian: Nothing was thrown so it shows that students are mature enough to handle this meeting. I think that is a good thing.

Rebecah: I would like to find a way in which we could ask follow up questions. My biggest frustration was their evasiveness even when asked for specifics. I would like to find a structure but I am not sure the right way to do that? Is there going to be a limit on number of questions or would it be limited to one person?

Matthew: I wanted to see more discussion. It was basically their responses and I'd rather see more student input especially follow up questions from students.

Katie: I agree with what has been said. I am not sure how to fix that they will always be evasive to a certain extent. I think there is a way we can call that out but that will be how they are going to respond. There are things we can do in the future to make the experience less frustrating but they are well practiced at avoiding these questions and giving bullshit responses.

Katherine: I think the part about the format on how they are going to answer the questions if we can get closer to them answer it would be good. This is an example maybe a moderator position to see if they can check at if they answered the questions.

Liam: I think we can focus on a specific topic since they have agreed to come back. We didn't dive deep into a single one. We can do a whole discussion on housing then we can cover a lot more depth.

Sam: I think that would be a good idea but also so that they can come in more frequently. For evasiveness I think with mic if they can't hide under the room with how quiet they are it will force them to be more clear.

Quinn: I think they should prepare for responses so that they can't say we don't have someone working at that so they can give us responses.

Max: So the EVC and Blumenthal have a quarterly academic senate where they present to the faculty. They presented on the academic and long range plan. I think it would be good for them to present and giving them a time limit and having people present here who have done research to do a briefing so we can formulate better questions after. Having a specific topic because although it's good to have a lot of questions it is also good to focus a lot more questions.

Yonatan: I feel that on the format it should be more of a conversation with student and admin because they know how to evade and it seemed that we were asking and they were giving us a generic answer. It would be good to talk about one topic and deliberate on that with them so we can actually get somewhere closer to the truth.

Ian: This one popped into my head but maybe inviting only one of the two so specifically they can do it rather than them relying on each other. Only ensuring one of them come.

Sabina: I like that idea of discussion we can do a group discussion or I don't know how that work. I think being able to vocalize we should make it clear that it is not okay with what they are saying.

Rebecah: I looked up his salary and for those curious his salary before 2014 it was 383,160 dollars 2016 raised to 396,655 2017 he got a raise 406,409 dollars.

Yonatan: Have you all seen when presidential elections occur and you would have two candidates talk to a group of people and there is a mediator. We can take turns in raising hands so that we can take a turn in prick and getting closer to the truth.

Alicia: Maybe we should focus on one specific issue but I think that is very limiting when there are so many issues. I think we should bring up more than one issue.

Max: I think when I said one issue I meant having somewhat of a theme like over enrollment then we can talk about resources. We tried that but in other meetings we want the chancellor to come once a quarter and I think we should keep track of their answers and anything they are looking into we can follow up with those things.

Vignesh: This is a whack idea but can we make a report card and give them a grade at the end of the year. It is satirical but like an official way to be like you failed and pushing that through press. It is really out there and press would grab at that and it would help people keep track. There is a regent report card and those voting for tuition hike are getting an F. It helps push consistency.

Sabina: I think we need to talk about outreach. HOW can the things we hear and make them more digestible and post them in public spaces and response to their responses.

Cameron: I like Vignesh idea I know a lot of groups do that. I think imitating the actions it might be effective.

Fatima: Can we fact checking them as they speak.

Ayo: I like the idea of grading but also if we can extend it to the entire campus so that we can give a questionnaire and we can give our own rating. We can push that to big newspapers to make our admin accountable.

Max: I think there are a lot of unions who have a set of demands here. What made it not feel productive to me is that instead of just having questions in other spaces we would have context, question, and recommendation so that we have more of a recommending of what is said ie. cal grant. Other organizations had questions that were not answered. I think we can elevate to those demands. There have been students who are trying to meet but when we ask they responded well so we can make other students heard.

Alicia: I think it would be productive if a group of us met after and publish that somewhere. It can be a way to make it sensible to students.

Emma: Something I thought up was that someone was saying something about holding them accountable for saying things to follow up on. I think when they say oh I don't work in that office because I don't know, ask them that we will follow up with them the next meeting.

Yonatan: I think we should find a middle point to ask them if they got what we needed done and then we can come to the grading point like we did this and we agreed and yet they failed.

Max: At the very beginning he said it is important to have communication with student body but he didn't come here for years. Shouldn't we have ways of getting information rather than him coming once a quarter.

Sabina: I agree with that. I think we need clear demands and be pushing. They won't budge if we don't push. There is a power dynamic we are a union and if you know much about unions we engage in bargaining and we do clear asking and pressure. Having that high amount of pushing. I think supporting direct action would be good. I don't think our number 1 priority is to be best friend with admin. We should get our student needs met.

Emma: Going off on what Sabina said, one way of having more direct action within the actual space of them coming is making some sort of thing so that they sign something to say they support us. They say they support it but do they because they haven't signed. That will hold them accountable.

Max: To respond to that when the officers and I met with him I asked them to sign the over enrollment petition because he said he supports it but

Katherine: He basically said oh I can't sign things because it is risky to put my name on things because he is a high admin so essentially that would be difficult for them to do. I don't think they would take it seriously.

Vignesh: Just to speak to that it is as official it can get because it is being circulated nationwide. The region meeting in March they are voting on out of state tuition and it is being brought there.

Laura: I was at the same meeting He said he would bring whatever petition and say I don't sign this but I am in support he would take it to the meeting.

Rebecah: Motion to add 5 minutes

Alicia: Second

No Objections

Emma: I think it was productive because it was a way for them to hear what things students are worried about. They may have been evasive but hopefully they actually heard and maybe factor that in. At least they heard from students directly.

Yonatan: Maybe we can really consider getting quotes from students because I think it wasn't enough and maybe we can do something with social media like we were talking about this and give it a title and what are your thoughts. If it is a lot then we can cut it down.

Max: I was wondering if we can make a committee to talk about this.

Vignesh: I was wondering if we can push that narrative of we will hold you accountable. This is not a chance to redirect and I think they should be afraid of that narrative. It is targeting them.

Max: Vision committee has an outreach committee so people can join and another way is if representatives take on a question so we can delegate the work and have specific formatting.

Closing Remarks and Adjournment: 9:08PM

Jane: Turn in representative reports for the month of February.

Sabina: Would SUA support if I came up with a thing for fee waiver. Other thing that there is a regents meeting March 14th and 15th. I was curious that if SUA offices might want to support busing and transportation.

Max: The offices and I talked about this and I thought about taking people but it is coming up really close and it is before finals week. They are voting on out of state and I was planning on using my energy to help Judith organize when folks come down for in state just so we have more time to organize something around that but I personally don't have anything against that.

Vignesh: I was wondering if you are interested in Fresno it is this Thursday. The narrative being pushed is that legislatures are going to be held accountable. A lot of students will be coming out. It was wonderful to see students destroy legislatures. Please respond to that email.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:12PM