

SUA 10.10.17

Meeting Called to Order at: 8:00PM

Approval of Agenda: 8:00PM

Sam: I motion to approve the agenda

Jeff: Second

No Objections

Approval of Minutes: 8:02PM

Judith: I was marked absent but I was clearly quoted throughout the meeting so I was there

Judith: Motion to amend the minutes

Sam: Second

No Objections

Jeff: Motion to approve the minutes

Burcu: Second

No Objections

Announcements and Public Comment: 8:04PM

Kat: The Asian American Resource Center is having a community welcoming from 5-7:30 pm at the College 9/10 MPR. There will be prizes, free food, and all the campus orgs will be there. This Friday there will also be a welcome back bbq and free food plus socializing. Feel free to come out!

Alice: I am the VP of Internal Affairs and next Monday from 7-8 pm my office will be having an open house at the SUA office. You can find out how to get more involved with Internal Affairs!

Sabina: There is an organizing conference October 21-22. Let me know if you are interested! Students will have workshops about working and organizing. There will be info on solidarity with workers and information on the Union!

Max: From October 19-24 is Affordable Housing Week. I work with a few students both on and off campus and with local organizers. We have a calendar of events and we are doing cross promotion. There will be a lot of good things like tenant rights workshops. If you have landlord issues feel free to share. I have flyers.

Jeff: I am from Stevenson and I am with the Rent control Campaign and the Stabilization of Rent to protect tenants. If you are interested on October 24 we will go to city council and demand two things. 1. Just cause for eviction and holding landlords accountable 2. Rent freeze. If we bring out enough people and make our voices loud enough we can win this. We will remind you and let you know that this is coming up. 5:15PM is the council meeting. If you want to know about this campaign check the last box.

Introductions: 8:08PM

Jane: Introduce yourself to the person on your left and then the person on your right. Then talk to people in the room that you don't know. State your name, pronouns affiliation, and who you are representing. Get chatty!

Presentations: 8:28PM

Slug to Slug I Heart UCSC Week (15 minutes) 8:28PM

- October 16-October 20th
- Celebration of slugs around campus, come up and pick up free goodies.
- Talking about a photography contest, one just opened today. Please take this to your own individual spaces.
- It is open everyday and it helps show what makes UCSC special.
- You are free to submit anything that you want and it is due this Saturday at 10PM
- Monday - Friday there will be a different event on different parts of campus everyday.
 - Monday is I heart UCSC kick off with free coffee at the quarry from 9-11AM.
 - On Tuesday its slug to slug day, reps will be tabling at Porter college from 12-2 with event to say how to say thank you to UCSC. We will be doing different signs.
 - Wednesday there is a photo booth at Rachel Carson from 4-7PM with sammy the slug.
 - Thursday we got cookies and committees at quarry from 12-2PM. We will be collaborating with SUA.

- Friday will be blue and gold take over. We will be decorating huge parts of campus and get students to show school pride and be dressed in blue and gold. That is the breakdown for the week.
- We are trying to promote through social media. If you guys can all reach out to your own personal pages and orgs then people will get excited.
- One of the things we wanted to do was put on more campus wide events. I am excited for thursday where there will be an event called cookies and committees. SCOC hires students to be on campus committees there will be information on how to get involved. We will have cookie decorating as well. At the quarry from 12-2 and the last thing is that I have been in touch with college senates about decorating the colleges. I don't know if you went through spirit week in highschool so we want to model friday and decorate bus stops. I want to get your help to decorate. I have been in touch with the senate thank you for volunteering. Talk to your chairs or me after the meeting.
- If you have any questions we are free to answer. Please promote the event and consider entering the context. We hope to see you all there!
- Slug to slug is from the alumnae office, we outreach to students to come to our events like networking events. I will have more information about event dates and times. We promote volunteering and UCSC pride. As part of the alumnae office we brought free goodies for all of you. I am going to put them on the table and at the end of meeting you guys can grab something. I bought buttons and Slug Bomb. If you want to grab something you are free.

Sam: What was the photographer thing?

You can submit it sabrando@ucsc.edu and the theme is what makes UCSC special. I will also be posting on the student facebook page.

Ayo: Are we decorating the whole college?

Right now I am working with each college and we are trying to get permission for the decorating. It is only for one day so I will keep you all posted. If you are interested come talk to me.

SUA Structure and Offices (25 minutes) **8:36PM**

- 6 officers and 40 representatives.

- If you are interested in opening up those other spots and we can have applications open so you can express your concern. We have three orgs but we can have 5
- Maxine H. I am the SUA president.
The president is like the principal spokesperson for the campus.
 - I will be working a lot around housing and I think it is a basic need. There are a lot of development and increase in enrollment. It is affecting a lot of people so I am watching the housing group. We had our first meeting last week. I also help student organization and mobilization. I want to create a space for students to have a voice on this campus and achieve concrete improvements.
 - I am going to meet with a smaller group to find out how to make this more flexible and adaptable to the campus. If you are interested let me know my contacts will be at the end of the powerpoint.
 - I am working on a letter to call out certain people for not letting us know the need for housing org. I am working with MECHA and to call out people who did not let me know about the 3 millions dollars dedicated to housing.
- Alice , VP of Internal Affairs
 - I run the student committee on committees and help the student hiring group.
 - I am here to get questions comments and complaints for the SUA
 - I heart UCSC will be happening next week.
 - I am hiring two outreach coordinators. That is a great way to get involved.
 - I will be posting on events that I am planning and I look forward to working with you
- Judith, VP of External Affairs
 - I represent UCSC at the local state and federal level
 - Our issues here and apply it to the system needs. I focus on all ten UC campuses and we work with UCSA board of directors, federal directors, etc.
 - The closest org that we work with are the board of directors that are the official voice of UC campuses
 - I was elected president of the UC association. Take advantage that I am here in Santa Cruz. I want to make sure I am giving back to my community.
 - We are hiring and applications are closing tomorrow. I am looking for Chief of Staff and assist in planning and scheduling. I need

Executive Assistant I need help with presidents tasks and rest of the office and whatever interns need. Legislation Director that helps with Lobby Corp. and UCSC government relations committee. Campus org director to mobilize students.

- Jessica, VP of Academic Affairs
 - I outreach to students and see where y'all are under resourced to get success in the classroom.
 - Lack of advising or instruction or seats in classrooms. I bring this to administration. They don't realize what their policies have on students. I also create projects to advance student success.
 - I want to make testing supplies free on campus and to alleviate cost of textbooks. I'll talk about that more later. I want to implement advising tools. There is a new system called Slugs Success and you get appointment. I want to see if you got the help you wanted in the session.
 - I work on Student Success Advisory committee. I worked with the new Vice Provost to create a committee. If you are interested it's a way to help students voice their demands.
 - I am hiring Chief of Staff which will be my assistant. I am not a creative student but I need to brainstorm solutions and my academic situation is not the same I am looking for more input. I am also doing academic affairs coordinator. They will help the Academic senate and they will be helping me with tasks that chief of staff will be doing.
- Katherine, VP of Diversity of Inclusion.
 - MLK convocation is happening that will celebrate his life. This year we are trying to bring Kimberly Cranshaw to bring as a keynote speaker.
 - We want to revamp diversity commission. Everyone here are welcome to join this commission and that will happen when all reps are solidified. It is a place to talk about diversity and promote events.
 - The students of Color Conference and it will be January 26-28th and it will be at UC Riverside. It is an annual event and it's been held for decades now. The theme is focused on education if you want details please contact me.
 - The deadline is tomorrow and I am hiring interns. The two positions are a program and outreach coordinator (Student organization) and a SUA research coordinator (Resource center).
- Tamra, VP of Student Life

- We are the newest office and it's on its second year. I focus on planning events and running the food pantry. I want to build relations with different orgs on campus.
- I have four paid positions within my office and the way I structure it is to get more people involved. I have the pantry manager and campus coordinator. They will be paid 300-400 a month and they will be tackling with campus wide programming. The other two will be to support year long. Those positions will be open a year. I hire unlimited amount so that freshmens who don't have experience can have a chance to get involved. Right now we have over 100 hired and they will be working the Chicano Batman concert. You can choose your shift. The last position is the campus shift lead. The shift lead will be opening and closing the pantry and be on call. They will be the first person to call if there is an issue. I will be going through a formal interview I want 15 people per quarter and change the team every quarter.
- The pantry update: I sent out an email for pantry volunteers and I will be starting training soon. There are 350 people who applied I get to train all of them by myself. The pantry won't open till November 1st. I want more events with the pantry. They bought a demo kitchen to teach students how to cook healthy meals. We are partnering with more people with a company who will have vegan chef to create more meals. Pre prepared meals for the vegans on campus. They are all organic and locally grown.

Jane: Please contact me at my personal email, the parliamentarian email is having technical difficulties.

Ayo: Will the email be sent to all of us.

Jane: I will send it tonight if you signed up!

New Business: 9:03PM

SOFA Check-in (5 minutes)

- We are trying to make sure there is food this year. We have one rep from each college and each org and they hear 20 funding request in a row. It's a good way to get informed of things on campus. I am not sure how much

money we have usually we have several thousand. You get to deliberate we want to have this meeting sometime in week 4 but also could be week 5. It does not have to be the SUA rep but please report back to your spaces that we need someone to sit on this committee. If you can give me a name for who's going to sit on the committee by next week then I can do a doodle poll to find a good time to meet.

Max: SOFA meets twice for deliberations but it depends on who we get and bring a name for me next week.

List of suggestions: Pasta, Sushi, Pizza, Wingstop, Zoccoli's, Dessert (Cookies, Brownies, Cupcakes - Safeway has five dollar goodies), Salad.

Community Agreements and Discussion Review (15 minutes) **9:05PM**

- Rules will be in the powerpoint that will be sent in an email.

Jeff: I would love to start a discussion to add on to this list. We should make sure that abusive behavior will not be tolerated. That is a community agreement we should have. Folks who haven't spoken should have stack input so that it prevents Ping Ponging.

Jane: We can do that. If you have spoken twice during the order of business you will be at the bottom of stack until everyone has spoken.

Matt: Why don't we have a staff advisor

Katherine: We do have a staff advisor, our previous advisor was Homayun, right now we have a new one and her name is Maura. She will be with us until we get a permanent advisor. We can send out her email for contact.

Max: She is usually in the office and it will be the second floor of the SUA building.

Tommy: There was a rule for the apologizing for mistakes you make yourself. I think you shouldn't apologize excessively because that's bringing attention to yourself.

Sam: Holding yourself accountable for what you have done.

Max: I facilitated that training. I know what you are saying and I can look back at the presentations.

Devon: Two things I am the Black Student Union and not ABSA. Please project what you are saying because I couldn't hear. Is there anything about representing committees. I represent the BSU not all black students on campus. If you are a rep you are not representing all students you are people those in the senate.

Katie: So this is probably semantics. For disability committees someone fall on identity and I don't think we should generalize that. I think if someone tells you that's not the right language to use we can follow their guidelines. Use the language that people use for themselves.

Jeff: Making our language accessible, do we have something to say if you don't understand what to say?

Jane: You can say point of inquiry. I will be more chill about it.

Jeff: Can I propose that we pose a Jargon Giraffe for when we have a question.

Ayo: What is that?

Jeff: I would raise my hand and make a giraffe. And then ask the question.

Jane: I love Robert's Rules and I would love to stick it with Point of Inquiry.

Sabina: There is something about a movement and that is common in spaces and that could be something to think of. I can totally see why we should use that.

Burcu: I like the idea of gesturing because saying things like Point of Inquiry that can be disruptive so I think this can be super cool and we can talk about it.

Devon: I understand that like raising hands but would it be possible to make a peace sign than jargon giraffe. The only problem would be is that a question and then she is going put you on the bottom of stack.

Jane: I think that is a good way to get the attention of person talking.

Tamra: Motion to extend time by ten minutes.

Katie: Second

No Objections.

Max: I think it doesn't matter what form we use. I think we can use it for Robert's rule and I think putting it in the community agreement to be welcoming and help acclimate them as best as we can and talk about how to make the assembly more accessible to new people.

Tamra: I like that idea because one thing we all talked about. New people of the space don't understand. I think at the beginning of every meeting to go over the Roberts Rule that would be cool.

Tommy: Will the nametags have the rules on the back.

Jane: Yeah but new folks won't have nametags and I can make a flyer.

Max: I feel like the first three community agreements can be under one big one. They were all similar and would be easier to organize. We can say some subsections. I want to take a look at the first one. I would add to that one and say gender is important but also the way we assume people's race and ethnicity. I don't have ideas on how to reword it but we assume other identities but we can be more clear in the description. I also have one more thing and I think we need to be stronger in implementing like what happens when someone breaks the rules. We can offer links to give examples of language and we can have conflict resolution as well to help those issues. That can be more actionable and act and implement this in the communities.

Sabina: Going off of that Max mentioned enforcement of these things. Not in a stickler kind of way but if its recurring will we have a discussion with the parliamentarian or one on one? Should we add it somewhere on how to learn from mistakes.

Jane: I don't know how you would feel but I can sit down and have a chat with you. I don't want to be intimidating to anyone but does anyone have suggestions.

Judith: At the UCSA the chair or parliamentarian it is their job to pull someone aside and help mediate the convo if someone else wants to do the talk.

Devon: First offense is a verbal warning, second offense will go into meeting minutes, and third offense the offender will remove from the meeting. I don't want to say oops you're out but at the same time this is a space we have things to do I don't have time for waste time. It's not like we can't find another rep I think after a couple warnings we do have to kick them out.

Ayo: Off that what if we had a sub committee where a few of us sit on a small board. Each person can be different and it would be fair if we had a committee that focus on the actions taken after an SUA members commits an offense. A few members can be selected and they can oversee that. People who want to be on the judiciary committee can oversee that.

Tommy: I want to clarify that and basically the point is to be not over dramatic. Don't say "I'm sorry please forgive me I am a horrible person". Don't make a big deal just apologize.

Jane: I'll make this document editable so you can go in and edit.

Katie: I think this can be boiled down to no nonsense. Performative nonsense should not have a space in this area. It's a bad look, apologize and move on.

Tamra: Going back to this discussion I know for myself I wouldn't feel comfortable with kicking someone out of our space. Everyone pays into the assembly and everyone has a space here. Some are dicks but we can't tell them they can't come here. If there is a continuous issue then whatever space they represent we can tell their chair and have them to deal with it. It's not up to us to say who can't or can represent a college or org. They can decide on that. We can't make decisions on who represent other people.

Jeff: Motion to extend time by five minutes.

Matt: Second

No Objections.

Sabina: I disagree because if someone has continuously violated the agreements to this space I think they need to be held accountable. I can see how kicking someone else can look bad but I think there are tons of people in this campus who can represent people in the space. Personally I think its fine if they continued to break this agreement.

Kasev: I think in regards to that point I think it's important to focus on counter side. When someone is dedicated to SUA they are giving up a large time for this space. We need to acknowledge their agency.

Natasha: I think it's important to look at intention behind mistakes. If this is an accident or purposeful. I think if we talk about punishment we should specify if this is the same incident multiple times. You might make a few mistakes on pronouns or language we all come from different hometowns.

Brandon: I am the kresge rep. This is in response to the possibility of the infraction in minutes. I think keeping a record should be private so it's not public shaming.

Burcu: I was wondering how to structure everything for the judiciary committee. I don't know how to enforce that because if we have a committee in charge of looking at these individuals are they going to be individuals in the space. If I were that individual I would feel uncomfortable of people in the space doing that. Maybe an external individual. I want to have a discussion that first.

Jeff: Motion to extend time by ten minutes.

Tamra: Second

Tommy: Objection I think we should be talking about the same things. We should go back to rules.

Move Into Vote: In favor - 1 Opposed - 31

Motion fails we will not be extending time on this.

Jane: Please keep text in a new color so that we can see what we need to vote on and if things get contentious we might vote bit by bit and we can postpone voting. Please spend time thinking about it.

Funding Request: VPAA Testing Materials (10 minutes) **9:44PM**

- Requesting money for scantrons to make things easier for students.
- First step is send an email to professors, if they need scantrons then the scantrons will be given to the professors.
- I will be delivering the scantrons to the professors
- The scantron company gave me a quote, I am requesting 1403.81. I reached out to blue and green books and they are not licensed besides the bookstore.

- Also opinions on what we need more

Sabina: I think it's awesome you are doing that about the blue books. Maybe figure out some kind of deal with the bookstore so more students can be accessible to the test taking supplies. Maybe having a poll for professors to see if they are planning to tell what kind of scantrons to see how many are needed.

Jeff: How are you deciding the numbers

Jessica: Kind of randomly. I will send an email to deal of student to advertise this kind of service. They will probably explain that the scantrons will be given by SUA. There are limited quantities for this quarter but next quarter I can see how much to reorder. I can always carry on to next quarter.

Sabina: I want this to be like accessible is there way to help folks who need it more.

Jessica: The professor would request for the whole class. It wouldn't be like half would get scantrons.

Ayo: What is the budget?

Max: We have purchase orders and most receipts weren't processed so we don't have a finalized budget yet. I think it will be finalized friday but I am not sure as of now.

Jane: We have to re approve the budget so you will hear more about it.

Closing Remarks and Adjournment: 9:52PM

Jane: Please change from college affiliation to org affiliation for sign in sheet.

Jos: I have swag if you guys want any

Tamra: If you lost the lottery for the concert I have tickets you can come see me.

Jane: The room is suppose to look like the diagram. Please help out with that.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:53PM