

SUA 4.04.17

Assembly Members Present: Tias Webster (President) , Grace Shefcik (VP of Internal Affairs), Hector Navarro (VP of Diversity and Inclusion), Tamra Owens (VP of Student Life), Vicente Lovelace (Cowell), Bryna Haugen (Cowell), Rick Takeuchi (Cowell), Andrew Szkolnik (Stevenson), Katie Keeshen (Stevenson), (Stevenson Alternate), Kaia Partlow (Stevenson), Nicki Thompson (Crown), Michiko Soto (Crown), Samantha Stringer (Crown), Jared Semana (Merrill), Lily Green (Merrill), Jacob Jones (Porter), Mamie Yang (Porter), Ted Jaich (Porter), Hana King (Kresge), Celinda Montoya (Kresge), Ian Gregorio (Kresge), Nova (Oakes Alternate), Burcu Birol (Oakes), Brook Dalton (Oakes), Thomas Ramirez (Rachel Carson), Lauryn Wilson (Rachel Carson), Matthew Forman (Rachel Carson), Kiryl Karpiuk (College 9), Samantha Sanchez (College 9), Tama Semo (College 10), Libby Pearman (College 10), Monse Villarreal (College 10), Jemerson (FSA Alternate), Cibyl Engel (PRISM), Alejandro Navarro (MESH)

Assembly Members Absent: Judith Gutierrez (VP of External Affairs), Jessica Xu (VP of Academic Affairs), Morgan Smith (Merrill), Katherine Le (College 9), Lolo Fuka (APISA), Erica Green (SANAI), Socorro Ramirez-Gamino (MEchA), Imari Reynolds (AB/SA), Eli Guzman-Martin (QTPOCC)

Meeting Called to Order at: **8:00PM**

Roll Call: Chloe at **8:00PM**

Approval of Agenda: 8:04PM

Rick: Motion to approve agenda

Burcu: Second

No objections

Approval of Minutes: 8:05PM

Bryna: Motion to approve minutes

Brooke: I was counted absent, I move to mark myself as present

Burcu: Second

No objections

Bryna: Motion to approve minutes

Ted: Second

No Objections

Announcements and Public Comment: 8:10PM

Grace: Candidacy applications are live. If you are interested in running for an officer position. You are welcome to talk to me or other officers if interested. Keep in mind of the dates

Tias: If you are interested in overseeing the election, the applic

Ian: Pride is coming up if you want to participate and help with planning come to Kresge steel lounge at 8:00PM on Wednesdays

Tamra: If you have been to OPERS or SUA the furniture has come in for the pantry and we need help for assembly. This sunday if you would like to help us that would be cool.

Bryna: Is it IKEA furniture?

Tamra: no.. but you can come up to me and I can add you to the google doc.

Tama: I would like to appreciate Judith right now. They are at D.C. doing good work. I will be available from 5-7PM at Mchenry to launch the Student committee I will be prepping from 5-9PM. Please come for discussions on how to move forward.

Tamra: Where in the Mchenry Library?

Tama: It will be on the ground floor in Mchenry Room 34. It will be tomorrow and I will also be available Thursday

Presentations:8:11PM

Education for Sustainable Living Program (10 minutes)

- Organized with lecture component on Monday nights with guest speakers and activists.
- There are also section leaders which I (Alejandro) am apart of.
- Topics on campus expansion, my topic will be food waste and active policy change to make high level recovery sources.
- There are 5 unit and 2 unit available
- I would appreciate if you can go back to spaces and let people know. If people are trying to switch into a class and want to get involved with campus activism and sustainability

Bryna: Are there any fulfilled GE's

Alejandro: I'm not sure of any GE's but it is a requirement for sustainability minor, you can get credit for environmental studies credit.

Vicente: I think what you can do is file a CEP to use that course to substitute for another GE. They just have to take the initiative to prove that it can substitute.

Tama: This is ungraded?

Alejandro: It can be taken pass no pass or graded. The grade will be submitted to the provost who gives the grade. You get feedback and it is very transparent.

New Business: 8:16PM

Sponsorship Request: OPERS Referendum (15 minutes)

- Proposing a fee that will generate 1.1 million dollars to help save athletes. The chancellor has agreed to give 500,000 yearly to athletics if this referendum passes.
- The finalized language is shared, the fee does expire in 25 years.
- We have begun to integrate outdoor experience and outdoor activities.
- We will use fundings to deepen that work and the most premium type of activities outside of OPERS cost money. Leaves students with low income unable to participate. We will sponsor EOP students for equal access.
- We think this partnership can deepen in providing more opportunities to more people around the campus. We use feedback from previous referendums and I think for the first time OPERS really reached out to all parts of the UCSC community to reach out.

Bryna: So I would like to personally say that I am really pleased. I know that last year when I had conversation about the fee because there didn't seem to be a possible way for me to support athletics. With your interest to provide equal access, I am pleased to say this is a much less dire/scary fee. Thank you for your hard work trying to adapt this to our campus.

Funding Request: Spring into Wellness (5 minutes) **8:24PM**

- Gary Dunn from CAPS has an app to track wellness throughout the day and give tips. He wants to make a campus wide challenge so that a message will be sent to your phone twice a day. You just answer how you are doing at that moment and what activity you are doing. This information just tracks how students are feeling throughout the day.
- Sometimes throughout the 3rd or 4th week of Spring Quarter.
- Encourage this to go back and if the assembly can fund 1,000 dollars to encourage the Senates to go. We want to see how to incentivise students.
- It will be East and West so College 10 will be part of West and College 9 will be part of East

Bryna: I am a big proponent of mood checkers and campus wide tournaments. My issue is that the App because I have an issue with the degree of information they collect. I wanted to use the apps but when I went into their terms and information there were some vague terms about privacy that I wasn't comfortable with. I think looking into the degree of information that can be utilized. They can't sell your information to other companies because of mergers. I am uncomfortable supporting something that might send information to something larger. I would like to look into how much information will be taken into the Well Track App

Tamra: I didn't know this was a thing. Can you send me an email because this is pretty important. Give me the specific point and hopefully I can get a response by next week.

Tias: The database is not well encrypted so there has been a problem that it can be hacked. My main question is what is the competition.

Tamra: which side can get the most checked by the end of the week. People have to participate into the App itself. We have taken account to college size so it will go by percentage. The prize will be 200 dollars per college. It will go to the college senates.

Alejandro: My concern is on the emotional side. If our true intention is to have people share their emotions when they are in tough times. The guides of the competition seems a little wrong.

Tamra: It's not specifically asking for bad times it just randomly ask for feelings at that moment.

Tamra: Move to extend time by one minute.
Thomas: Second

Tamra: We also emailed all CPCs to talk and advertise event. The CAOs of colleges have been emailed too.

Funding Request: Relay for Life (10 minutes) 8:32PM

- My name is Christian. Host the annual Relay for Life. Thank you for hearing us again. I know we were reached out to by Tama.
- It is a 24 hour continuous fundraiser walk a thon at the OPERS field. We expect 200 participants just students and third parties from off campus.
- Our main goal is to raise money for American Cancer Society
- Last year we requested \$3000 from SUA and did get fully funded. This year we got funded \$1500 but there are other struggles. The new Dean of Student Interims she was unable to fully cover our OPERS cost. One of our third party costed us one and a half times more harder since it will be on the weekend. We are having issues on how we will fund rest of event. Our event is about \$4000.

- We are requesting \$1000 dollars that can help pay for the rest of the event for lighting, Costco cost (for dinner lunch and breakfast), the Survivor Breakfast as a special event.
- If we don't get any more funding we will have to use all our money from store accounts and that means we won't be able to host other prior events.

Sam: The event is on what day?

Christian: April 29th-April 30th. It is a 10 dollars registration fee. If you are a survivor it will be free.

Old Business: 8:39PM

Funding Deliberation: AHSIE (10 minutes)

Bryna: Just to clarify this presentation in this group said that they would be fully funded by own organization if we did not fund them?

Bryna: Move to fund 0 dollars

Rick: Second

Hector: I think we should fund a little bit. Maybe not 0

Mamie: I strongly feel this should be funded 0 dollars because this is a work function, 3 employees from same department of EOP going to a conference that directly relate to their job duties and they will be fully funded if we do not fund them.

Tias: To echo what was said. This being an employee training, we as SUA should fund this so workers should better serve students. But this is a concerning argument to be giving to us.

Bryna: To further give the reason why I chose to fund 0 dollars. When we asked them why they came to funding to us. The person said his organization asked them to do a funding request to be more professional. I don't think that is a good reason to fund money and use student money. As it is I think the \$2800 dollars could be better served to our students funding a different org/event.

Tamra: When we fund things we have to think of the consequences of what we don't fund things. If you are going to travel for a conference that will be tax deductible so they will be getting money back eventually

Rick: They can be funded by their own organization. It is only limited to a few students.

Hector: It sounds like minds are made up.

Tamra: Call to question.

No Objection

Move into vote: All those in favor 29 All those opposed 0

Closing Remarks and Adjournment: 8:45PM

Jane: next week we will have a rep from title 9 to present. They are expecting a lot of questions.

Bryna: Who is representing?

Jane: I think Tracie will be. Don't quote me on that.

Hector: Next week I invited Linda Shoultz to speak to us from diversity. Are there certain topics you want her to prepare for. Just send me an email. I am scheduling a tour from a school with a large proportion of underrepresented students. On June 1st. If you are interested in giving a tour to students and sharing stories on how to get here its a full day thing and there is a student panel and tour of some science facilities and the campus. If you are interested send me an email.

Tias: I have been scheduling administrative meetings to address questions of barriers of students focusing on academics. If you or anyone you know have a horror story I am going to be seeing 6/7 administrators who can work on these things. Please come talk to me at any point.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:47PM