Student Union Assembly Tuesday, 4/2/2013

Meeting called to order at 6:01PM by DT Amajoyi (Chair)

Assembly Members Present: DT Amajoyi (Chair), Kevin Huang (OD), Rocio Zamora (COD), Shaz Umer (IVC), Shiku Muhire (COAA), Victor Velasco (EVC), Nicolette Johnson (Cowell), Corbin Hall (Crown), Giovanni Maldonado (Crown), Max Hufft (Crown Alt.), Ian Bernstein (Eight), Louise Cabansay (Eight), Roshni Advani (Eight), Adrianna Gonzales, Carl Eadler (Kresge), Lyle Green-Nickerson (Kresge), Maria Jennings (LL), Michael Liber (Merrill), Vanessa Morales (Merrill), CJ Ocampo (Nine), Iden Yekan (Nine), Shanna Ballesteros (Nine), Linda Moua (Oakes), Melody Aguilar (Oakes), Jocqui Smollett (ABSA), Justin McClendon (QSU Alt.), Ivan Medina (MeCHA), Steven Hernandez (QSU), Daniel Lewis (Porter), Mick Del Rosario (Porter Alt.), Charlsie Chang (Stevenson), Lila Blackney (Stevenon Alt.), Megana Kunda (Ten), Rebecca Brown (Ten), Eric Rubin (Treasurer), Michael Amster, Nallely Ramirez, Brittany Smith (CoS)

Assembly Members Absent: Omar Bravo (APISA), Alexis Bartels (Crown), Kelsey Rousseve (Kresge), David Nguyen (Merrill), Kayla Oh (Oakes Alt.), Sindy Ramirez (Oakes), Etienne Laffargue (MeCHA), Shingo Brann (Porter), Kevin Troxell (Stevenson), Sammie Vega (Stevenson), Norma Vasquez (APC), Saam Keshavarzi (Ten Alt.),

DT: If you are a new rep, put your name on the back of the list. If you know the person you've replaced, cross their name out and sign in. Everyone please sign in.

Approval of the Agenda

We will move to the approval of the agenda. I'll pass out the agenda. Anything on the agenda you would like to change? Remember, it is right on the screen right now.

Shiku: **Motion** to approve.

Lyle: Second.

Reading of the Previous Meetings' Minutes

Justin: Has the money amount changed?

Tem: I'll change it soon.

DT: I sent it to you and I'll have Tem change it. Another change that needs to be made "Line items to take money of" change to "Line items to look into".

Rebecca: **Motion** to approve.

Nicolette: **Second.**

DT: We have approval of minutes.

Announcements

CJ: After this meeting at 8PM in the Cervantes-Velasquez room, there will be a mandatory volunteer meeting Orale, it's an outreach program for people who identify as Chicano Latino and bring them up to our college and show them what goes on. It would be splendid you if you came.

Chris: On Saturday, there is an org "without bars", there has been 4 deaths that has been in captivity. If you need any info, please ask me.

Kevin: On April 4th, at noon to 1PM at Quarry Plaza, a day of action, unity of all the unions on campus. It's also a tribute to MLK, a reflection of a struggle for MLK for the sanitation workers in Memphis, it's a parallel to what we are doing for the workers here on campus. I have a couple of flyers if you want, take one and pass it around. Remember, it's this Thursday.

Chris: The Am. Indian resource center hosting an event and it's happening Saturday, April 27th at Oakes Lower Lawn.

Victor: The EVC office, we are going to host a post- SLC follow up meeting, we are going to be organizing around prop 13 reform and prison reform and possibly about immigration reform, if you are interested around those topics. I'm going to pass around this e-mail list. That doodle is going to close at 8PM, but I'll extend it to 9PM, there isn't a date or time set. We will discuss that later.

Rocio: If you are looking for a 2-credit internship, the applications are on the SUA website. It's due Friday April 5th; there is also a class for it. Kevin and I will facilitate.

Jocqui: Destination higher education will be next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It's an outreach program for African-American students who were admitted to UCSC. We will show them around campus and show them the vibe of our college life. We are accepting floaters, if one of the volunteers leaves, you'll be the replacement.

Shiku: I'm the CoAA, my office traditionally has put out the class survey. Please talk to me if you want to help, I can make a makeshift sign-up sheet. The survey is for the student body, what is it about to be a student in UCSC, talks about signing up classes, also it'll have thing about you as a student, not necessarily just the major. We will make it more in depth.

DT: In regards to UC ship, it deals with our health care, if you are interested in getting engaged with it, meeting next Monday at the Health Center Mural room, I definitely encourage this. If you do want to get involved, it's from 11AM to 12PM. Any more announcements or questions?

Icebreaker

DT: We are going to have an activity/icebreaker. It's an easier agenda. I didn't want us to have any voting or whatnot since we have new people and the room isn't exactly filled. Send me an email of who are the new reps so they can vote in this space. The next thing we are going to do (an ice breaker). We did it during our first retreat; I got a really good feedback. A lot of the issues we deal with affect us. The name of the game is "I am" exercise. We are going to split up into groups 3-4, we are going to have time to think on your own. You are going to write down statements that indicate who you are. You are going to take about 5 minutes to write things down.

Presentations

Divestment from Fossil Fuel Companies (David Shugar)



2013SUAElectionsTim

2013 SUA Elections Timeline (DT Amajoyi)

Kevin: The repercussion is that your entire college loses their vote during the election.

DT: The body that actually controls the election. Your college needs this.

Victor: How long can people campaign?

DT: It's from April 22 till the end of elections. It's been the same for years.

Committee Meetings:

DT: Each of the officers, please stand up. Anyone can go to these committees, you don't have to stay at the same one, and you can be in a couple, just make sure you are putting your full efforts.

Rocio: I'm the CoD, we are doing programming and issue advocacy, programming wise, we have a conference (playing with the name), we are also going to have a film screening of The Harvest, it's about the immigrant youth working in the fields and struggling for education, we are really trying to support the ethnic, Cantu, and women's center. They are underfunded; they are being paid by student fees and are losing staff. This is going to affect those communities. We are lobbying to EVC Galloway; there are a lot of actions. We support family-student housing.

Shaz: I'm the IVC; we will be working on four diff. campaigns. Slug shuttle, amphitheater, UCSC Got Talent campus-wide based off American Idol, each single college will have a preliminary round. Daniel and I are trying to organize a concert with local bands.

Shiku: I'm the CoAA and my office are working on two major projects. The first is the class survey I talked about earlier. The survey actually started the waitlist option. The other one is to have the syllabus be put out before people actually sign up for classes.

Victor: I'm the EVC, this quarter will be different, and we are going to be separating on a day and time because we feel like the committees may not be prioritized for organizing. Lobby core deals with talking with our reps in the state and local issues. We are talking about UCSA, reclaiming education. Fund the UC Prop 13, tax loop hole and issues with Cal grants and other issues with higher education. We want it to be organic and have a community effort. If you are interested in lobbying or organizing, come to us.

Kevin: I'm the OD for SUA. The student power has been involved in the California Dream Act. A couple of things we will be working on this quarter, we will be working on different contract campaigns, workers should get a fair share of the conditions we have on campus. With service workers, their working conditions are our learning conditions. If they don't have time to sweep, our learning space is messy. Those things affect us as well. I think it's time for students to be in solidarity with workers so our UC is fair to all of us. Along with that is working on the Thursday rally, come to student power and lobby core as well. What I really want to focus on is revamping the discussion in Prop 13. It lost its stronghold in the student movement. It's a mechanism to go through that. We will be working on the contract the UC has will SallieMay, you are paying SallieMay and they profit a dollar per transaction. It's the same entity. This contract has been going on for five years, the UC did it themselves. This is a way to bring back the UC in a socially justice way. Profiting off students just by doing transactions is not okay. I'm also curious to investigate mismanagement with TAPS, the money is going to the Metro, we don't nearly have enough transportation for students on campus anyways. We will meet outside. It's a joint meeting.

Committee Report Backs

DT: There is only so much time for these meetings in SUA and I do give us the time that we can. Being in the space in just about the meetings, but the actions and organizing as well. There is a lot of amazing things that has happened in this space. If you wish for your committee to meet frequently, feel free to set up times. A lot of officers gave good synopses.

Linda: We decided that we were going to open up the survey on week 7, during the time students can enroll in summer/spring. We will have questions about measure 42 and MSI. We will have optional questions about you as an individual. We talk to our professors about putting the syllabuses online.

Nallely: We started off with intros; we will have a film documentary. We will have a safe space caucus and people can talk about themselves. We will try to get Angela Davis as a keynote speaker. We are still brainstorming names for our conference.

Victor: We discussed the restructuring how lobby core will work this quarter. For Student power, we will have the action on Thursday. We need folks to be there as early as 6AM, we need to reserve the space because it is rush week. The rally will take place in noon, we are going to have a work party to make posters for the rally tomorrow at 7PM in SUA, it'll be really fun. It's important to support our workers, because they have been supporting us for decades.

Shaz: Focused on UCSC Got Talent. Preliminary stages will be next week, 5 different locations, Stevenson fireside lounge, Baoboa room, multipurpose room, Hitchcock lounge, Red room for stage 1. Stage 2 will be more judging. At the end of this month, we will have the three admins and me to judge. It's going to be a lot of planning and advertising. They need to send me an e-mail.

Rebecca: Will this be online?

Shaz: I'll send it to Tem.

Kresge Pride Sponsorship

DT: These are the recommended line items. This is an amazing event and brings a lot of participation. The RSO Carry over doesn't apply though because they aren't a recognized org. There are a lot of requests and spring quarter is a highly impacted quarter. I just wanted to show you all of this; this is where we are at right now. I won't have Tem send this with our minutes; I just wanted to give you all info. In terms of timeline, we are okay. They should be coming to your college to request for funding. They have a lot of work to do. We won't give them their full funding request amount.

DT: Please finalize your SOFA reps and send it to reps and e-mail it to Eric. Spring quarter is when the budget committee is finalized. That committee will be forming for folks to sign up for that. Please sign up for that if you interested.

Ian: **Motion** to adjourn.

Vanessa: Second.

Adjournment at 7:50PM