

Student Union Assembly  
Tuesday, 2/12/13

Meeting called to order at 6:02PM by DT Amajoyi (Chair).

DT: The roll sheet is going around. If you aren't on the list serve, I'll send out a sheet and put your email on it. This will be our secondary space. Let's move to the approval of the agenda.

**Assembly Members Present:** DT Amajoyi (Chair), Shaz Umer (IVC), Rocio Zamora (COD), Shiku Muhire (COAA), Kevin Huang (OD), Norma Vasquez (APC), Brittany Smith (CoS), Nicolette Johnson (Cowell), Giovanni Maldonado (Crown), Alexis Bartels (Crown), Corbin Hall (Crown), Max Hufft (Crown Alt.), Roshni Advani (Eight), Ian Bernstein (Eight), Louise Cabansay (Eight), Lyle Green-Nickerson (Kresge), Kelsey Rousseve (Kresge), Carl Eadler (Kresge Alt.), Maria Jennings (LL), Vanessa Morales (Merrill), David Nguyen (Merrill), Michael Liber (Merrill), Iden Yekan (Nine), Shanna Ballesteros (Nine), CJ Ocampo (Nine), Melody Aguilar (Oakes), Sindy Ramirez (Oakes), Linda Moua (Oakes), Justin McClendon (QSU Alt.), Jocqui Smollett (ABSA), Shingo Brann (Porter), Daniel Lewis (Porter), Mick Del Rosario (Porter Alt.), Nicky England (SPM), Sammie Vega (Stevenson), Kevin Troxell (Stevenson), Jessica Veklerov (Ten), Rebecca Brown (Ten), Megana Kunda (Ten), Eric Rubin (Treasurer), Steven Hernandez (QSU), Michael Amster, Alexander Nguyen, Nallely Ramirez, Adrianna Gonzales, Abraham A. Aragundi, Christian Cuadrado, Adreina Pulido, Elizabeth Garcia

**Assembly Members Absent:** Victor Velasco (EVC), Arina Voronina (Cowell), Jacob Rios (Cowell), Kayla Oh (Oakes Alt.), Nadia Mufti (Oakes Alt.), Omar Bravo (APISA), Ruben Barron (Porter), Michael Barney (Porter Alt.), Lila Blackney (Stevenon Alt.), Charlsie Chang (Stevenson), Kelly (Stevenson Alt.), Saam Keshavarzi (Ten Alt.),

Approval of the Agenda

Kevin: **Move to amend** the agenda and add resolution for fair and just health care after sustainability office for 5 minutes.

Daniel: **Second.**

Sayo: Could it possibly after put the fiscal manager proposal?

Kevin: That is fine; I'll **change the motion** to after.

Daniel: **Second.**

Shaz: **Motion** to approve.

Rebecca: **Second.**

### Reading of the Previous Meeting's Minutes

DT: We will be passing out the meeting before and after the meeting so we get everyone.

Idea: **Motion** to approve the minutes.

Giovanni: **Second.**

DT: Next portion for the agenda is announcements. Give any updates about any projects you are working on. I will be taking stack for it.

### Announcements at 6:19PM

Rebecca: This event is happening this Thursday at the Student Union. We will be showing Pulp Fiction and Pacific company cookies will be provided. 7-10:30PM.

Ian: Western Regional's this weekend, still looking for volunteers, I'll send out a volunteer sheet.

DT: Any other things?

Alexis: Winter formal from 9PM-12AM Crown and Merrill, 2 dollars for Crown and Merrill students in advance, 3 dollars at the door for them, all other college it's 5 dollars.

Rebecca: Sexploration week, it's a lot of fun, if you go on the C10 website, there is a different event this week about sexual health, sexual social, sex toy demonstration.

Sindy: March 9<sup>th</sup>, service day from 11AM-5PM we are going to help clean up Natural Bridges. We are going to do a service 3 times a year and are going to have a shuttle, please sign up.

Norma: Starting the 24<sup>th</sup> this month, the arc is extending their hours.

Justin: Stevenson event center, photo booth, 11 to 3:30PM

Lyle: Next Thursday, Kresge will be doing a town hall for the students to know what we are doing for the campus.

Shaz: The student committees on committees, at Cowell/Stevenson dining hall we are showing Mean Girls, so stop by dress up, tomorrow night.

Kevin: I have a couple things, I have a flyer I am going to pass out, and my office is calling the week of love for education. Spread the love for higher education. We are going to be having a picture day at quarry plaza; we will have a whiteboard and a camera. You can write whatever on it and take a picture with it. It'll be really fun. On the day after, we will have kisses for high education booth; sign up, valentine's cards for higher

education. You had me at “there is no fee hike this year”. I’ll pass out a volunteer sheet. Alongside with that, there is a student worker coalition tomorrow redwood lounge at 4PM; there will be a health care action tomorrow in front of the health center. There are proposing a 25% increase in health premiums. Tomorrow at 11:30AM, if you care about your health care plan, go. Prop 13 reforms next week. I am also thinking about hosting a Harlem shake at the quarry plaza as well.

Rocio: This week on Friday at 2PM-4PM in the ethnic resource center lounge, co-facilitating a film, talking about intercultural discrimination between ethnic communities, we are going to have food. My office is working with e<sup>2</sup>, having a mixer with all ethnic orgs. You can meet other orgs and this provides a space to talk about issues they are facing. This is happening February 27<sup>th</sup> at Kresge town hall. Regarding the restructuring of the resource centers, we are going to have a follow up soon. If you have an ethnic org, it’s a great opportunity, please let me know. I’ll send some emails to organizations.

DT: I will be giving you all a comprehensive update, updates on elections, meeting with Yudolf, and look forward to that next week. Now we will move on to general announcements. Our first presentation is about the sustainability.

#### Sustainability Presentation:

DT: There are a lot of opportunities at their office. It gives an opportunity to help serve our campus.

Sammie: I am happy to learn how more about sustainability.

Norma: How would we get on your newsletter?

Lacey: There is a link to it on our website.



Rebecca: Is there any progression in terms of composting?

Elida: Everything from the dining hall is composted. There are opportunities for people in apartments to compost. There is a big thing that is coming up for the next steps for composting. The solution isn’t there yet but there is work in that direction.

DT: How much is it to outsource our compost?

Elida: The tipping fee is about 75 dollars a ton. When we tip it for compost, it’s 38 dollars. It’s just far away in Monterey to do it. Waste is expensive. We are spending a lot of dollars.

Max: I have a question whether or not the sustainability office if they have a goal in the waste fee.

Lacey: We are not at this point.

Brittany: Elida did great a presentation; I thought it was valuable, when the green office cert. team about the result, can we bring it to the space?

Shaz: One of my priorities is to make sure we have students on these committees; we need to make sure our voice is represented.

Lacey: Something else I really want to stress is that this is important because of the students. You guys should be proud of yourself but always keep the pressure. The reason it moves to the top of the list for admin, they do it because of pressure. The more pressure the students put on in terms of sustainability, the more change.

Michael: Which parts of the school have more waste?

Elida: We had a campus wide waste assessment, we just into the dumpsters to see where things are coming from. We know how much tonnage; we really did not know which building produces more. We used scales for the trucks now; it's like a GPS system to see which dumpsters. We will be able to do something with the info soon. We are one of the first campuses to do it other than UCD and UCB.

Brittany: I would really think it'd be cool for SUA. In our retreat, it was about a sustainability retreat, it's basically for students to build leadership skills and organizing.

Daniel: On cigarette packages they put nasty things on it, you guys can put on the dining halls.

DT: The next portion of the agenda is for the legislative profiles.

### Presentations

Kamran: Nora Campos Presentation



Maria: Richard Gordon Presentation



### SUA Fiscal Manager Proposal Discussion

DT: For this conversation, I want to gauge where we are at in terms of this proposal and everyone understands. I'll take a few hands just assessing.

Daniel: Can you just clarify what this about?

Kevin: I would like a quick overview of the proposal.



Eric: I agree with Kevin.

DT: For this, I see that a lot of time that people are taking notes, with that being said, no one e-mailed me about clarification. No one asked me for the proposal; we've had this conversation. We send out our minutes on Thursday. As a rep, I think it's very important, what is it that actually works for you in order to give sufficient feedback to your own meetings. You should be taking notes, even though we have the minutes, it is important for you to know what is on there.

Jessica: The thing I have the hardest time is announcements, it goes by so far, I often was unable to get the where and when. I miss a lot during that time.

Iden: I agree with Jessica.

Michael: To address your concern, maybe what we can do is have them write it on a piece of paper and give it to the typer.

DT: The issue is important and we can move it to next week. For colleges to take an abstention, it's concerning to me. We all have a vote. If there is any clarification, please e-mail me. I have a specific proposal for reps; please jot down what it means to take active notes. You are all accountable to your own college and orgs' space. This is for your constituency. There is a lot of work that needs to happen. We will move to questions about the fiscal manager proposal.

Sayo: I'll give you all a quick summary. There was no staff to manage the money. It is something that is required. Because we don't want to use your budget, we had the meeting with the three groups to put in a portion of their money for staff members.

Corbin: I'm still not sure about what we are voting for.

Sayo: So, starting around 2005, SUA had a financial staff to manage all of your budgets and share with the other 2 orgs. That lasted till October; there was a reorganization of the budget. That staff went to OPERS so you lost your staff. We do need to replace that staff. What this is that we are going to recommit the 3 partners: SUA, e2, CSC, to put money in. the thing on the screen is that I want to be complete transparent about where the money is going. Do you know why the money is going up?

Eric: The cost goes up living expenses goes up so we need to increase their pay.

Sayo: When the partnership is formed, they need how much time from the financial staff. Not so much has changed back then. It's pretty much the same percentage of time. \. The other costs that are conditional are the benefits, which are also part of the union contract. That is why the current year cost is higher than the 2012 cost.

Kevin: These are automatic increases for each year?

Corbin: It's going to go up regardless of the circumstances?

Sayo: It's a contracted amount, which will keep going up.

Max: It seems like we don't have any other choice, it seems like we need a staff. This seems like our only option.

Sayo: We could talk and renegotiate, you do need a financial staff. Can my staff absorb it? The answer is no. We would need an alternative if this doesn't work.

Alexis: Are these expenses already in the budget?

Sayo: It was about \$10,000.

Kevin: Is this a full time position? Where would the extended amount of funds come from?

Sayo: It's 75%.

DT: We will be reallocating funds around.

Eric: Would these salary increases be ongoing even past 2016?

Sayo: It would dependent on the union contract.

Shaz: In the case SCOC doesn't approve, then where does the 6% go?

Sayo: If one group doesn't approve, it'll be switched around. The process of hire does take a couple months more. The decision is needed soon.

Kevin: Right now it is whether we like it or not, it is a cost we have to approve. What would happen if we did not approve this?

Sayo: Audit requires a staff to manage the budget. If there is another solution, we are open to it. It's \$29,000 for a dedicated and stable staff.

Michael: I don't get how the percentages were split up.

Sayo: We had a meeting with the groups to see what financial tasks are required. It was based on a cooperative agreement between needs.

Daniel: I rescind.

DT: Do you all feel comfortable with this?

Kevin: Clarification, is this a vote to approve the extra extended expense as well as where it's coming from.

DT: It's just a proposal.

Michael: Are these percentages fixed or will it change?

Sayo: If it changes, we would all have to meet again and change the percentages depending on what the fiscal staff will spend their most time on.

Louise: Are we approving up to 2016?

DT: Yes, if anything comes up, we will have to revote.

Jessica: Will all the groups' council agree upon who is being hired?

Sayo: There was a hiring committee; each department had their own committee.

DT: Straw poll to see who isn't comfortable.

Vanessa: I vote to talk about this to our college senate.

DT: We will come to a final vote next week. Definitely use the resources to get more information if needed. This is an important item.

Jessica: Is it possible to have a stipulation for SUA to get to meet the person before the official hire.

Sayo: It's dependent on you all to understand their qualifications they have to do the work they will be doing. If the general body rules that that is an important step, then that works.

DT: We will come to a vote next week.

Kevin: Resolution for Fair and Just Health Care Presentation



Resolution for Fair  
and Just Healthcare &

Committee breakouts

Brittany: **Motion to move** breakouts to after the meeting.

Shiku: **Second.**

Sindy: **Motion** to adjourn.

Shaz: **Second.**

DT: **Meeting adjourned** at 8:00PM